Before 2012, my digital music creation tools were:
Instruments: CTK-731 Casio Synthesizer, Copyright free sound samples
After I got my first iPhone 4s in December 2011, I started experimenting with a lot of iOS apps for music creation. Later upgraded to iPhone 5s in 2015. Some of the main apps I have used and liked are:
- Animoog – excellent to create melody tracks and play lead sections
- Drumjam (Pete Lockett’s app) – excellent for very Indian folk drum patterns
- Garageband for iOS – where I mix all the tracks and add other instrument tracks
- Figure (by Propellerhead) – love the ease with which you can create synth basslines and drum loops
- Orphinio – cool gong, bells and hang sounds
Later in 2016, got access to my brother’s iMac and invested in iRig Midi keyboard and used Garageband to create a few tracks.
All the tracks I had ever composed since 1988 – the good sounding ones are all uploaded in Sound Cloud (link below) under my pseudonym Swarlok Ohms (just a play on Sherlock Holmes – Swar is sanskrit for sound, lok is again sanskrit for world and Ohms of course is a unit used for audio measurement).